Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - The Movie Review

*spoiler alert*

Well, since I've been crazily talking about this movie for awhile so now after 3 times watching, I think I should say a few words about the movie.

Even though I read the book (which I didn't finish though but I have read the book 3 times I think) prior to watching the movie, I didn't like to really compare the book with the movie. Ever since my disappointment with Harry Potter 2 - The Chamber of Secret, the movie, I started to treat the book and movie separately, so I can enjoy the movie more. Of course we love the books, but we also have to understand the time limitations for each movie, we can't really expect every single detail in the book (no matter how much we love 'em) to be put out into the movie.

That being said, I'll give an O.W.L "O" for HBP the movie. For you Muggles, "O" means outstanding. OWL (Ordinary Wizarding Level) is equivalent to O Level in our Muggle world. hahaha. I am biased as I am a Potter fan, but I truly thinks that the movie is the best adapted so far. How they try to simplify some of the details, and added new scenes to have more "action" in the story. Half Blood Prince is a drama movie, not much action. I have heard a few comments by those that didn't read the book saying that there is no climax to the movie. Well, it is true that there is no climax and the story is left hanging. I've always said that, HBP is like a prequel to the last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. If you didn't read HBP, you won't be able to fully understand what's going on in DH especially in regards to the horcruxes.

As for me, I love HBP because it is actually introduced us to Lord Voldemort's past. We have to learn the enemy you see. As for the movie, I love how they played on the emotions of the character especially on the cheesy love scenes (although I somehow feel that Ginny tying Harry's shoelaces is absolutely unnecessary), the close bond of friendship between Harry, Hermoine and Ron, ..... we see these kids grow in front of us. Harry's relationship with Dumbledore. I love that it shows Harry's character more this time- inquisitive mind, brave, loyal, caring, kind person. And oh yeah, the "pincer" scene was just too cute ok!!! hahah. The only thing I kinda disappointed in was the absence of the "fight" at the end. In the book there was supposed to be fights between the death eaters and the aurors before the end (ya know what I mean. But oh, I also think the performances by Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy and Jim Broadbent as Professor Slughorn were brilliant!!

So, for me to tell you to go or not to go watch the movie, it is really up to you. I would say the fans would love the movie. For non readers, if you like and watch all the 5 movies, I am sure you'll enjoy this because it is a continuation of Harry's journey in fighting the evil. For me, it is beautifully executed - the graphics, the music (I especially love the scene where hermoine was crying and she was practising her charm spell - the birds flying around her head). I also think that this movie will make people more intrigued.. and wants to know what happens next.

All that being said, I can't wait for the last instalment (which they said to be made into 2 movies), it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I love the last book the most, it is so precious to me... I may have high expectation on it but I think the movie maker know what they are doing. We'll always have the book anyway, right?

Enjoy the movie. And don't forget to bring tissues. I cried buckets the first time! HAHAHA.

Read awesome reviews from the Rolling Stones and Roger Ebert from Chicago Sun-Times.

Comments

Post a Comment