My Trip to Kota Bharu

I spent 5 days and 4 nights in Kota Bharu, Kelantan. One of the longest time I stayed there.

Both my parents was born and bred in Kota Bharu, Kelantan. But when they got married, and my father was in service in the army, they moved around a lot and somehow we ended up based in KL/Selangor. Going back to Kelantan is a rare occasion for me. The last time I went back was about nearly 2 years ago, for my cousin's wedding.

I didn't take a lot of pictures because, well, no one to take my pictures and I was a little bit shy to take out my camera there.

So anyway, I did manage to snap a few interesting pictures to share about what i did during my trip which I think showed a little bit of Kelantan identity.

A must when you are in Kelantan, visiting the goldsmith. The gold are priced lower and better quality. This is our fave goldsmith's place.. Wan Hussin and that's the owner in white, whom we called We Ne (probably his name is wan adnan i am not so sure haha), pretty handsome hahaah but married :P. More handsome since he is the owner hahahahaha. His shop is in front of the Buluh Kubu shopping place.

I found this lady selling traditional Kelantanese food, etok (a type of clams which you eat as snacks)in front of a restaurant selling Nasi Sumatera, try the nasi sumatera at hover restaurant, it is yummy!
ranges of kuihs (our dessert, cakes, usually eaten at breakfast and teatime) at the wet market in Kubang Pasu. Better be early or you might miss some of those special ones

I also visited a relative's batik store and workshop. Ordered a couple of batik for myself but it's not ready yet. can't wait. If you happen to be in KB, drop by Jantique, it is located in front of the New Pacific Hotel.
Batik, in the making. More info on Batik, click here.

You don't need to go to Trafalgar Square to feed the pigeons. Come to my aunt and uncle's house... there are these friendly birds eagerly waiting for food. They are flying, cuz I scare them away. lol.
The famous Pasar Siti Khadijah, a wet/dry market of all kinds of stuff, ranging from meat to veggies, to dry herbs to food, to clothes especially textiles

My mom at my dad's cousin shop...
look at those batik, and colours! pretty eh? Among the stuffs sold at the shop
Some of the stuffs sold at the food/groceries floor..
Selling the beef/chicken/fish floss.. which we called "serunding" here, but in kelantan, it is known as "sambal daging or ikan or ayam"
Trishaw, still being used as a mode of transportation in town. They called it "taxi"
On my last night, my aunt wanted me to have a taste of the fresh seafood, so she bought really huge and freshest prawns and squids at Kampung Cina, which I grilled to perfection. YUMMMMMYYY


I wish I took all kinds of food I had there, but maybe next time, ok?

I loved my trip to KB this time, even though the place was packed since its the school holidays (tip: avoid coming here during these holidays), I think it gave me a chance to spend time with my parents and the elders in my family. Visiting the relatives here also makes me reflect my own life and be thankful with what I have.. When i was young, i didnt really appreciate when I visited KB, but as I grow up, I appreciate and embrace it more, because it is where my roots are.

Comments

  1. oohh..i x sempat pon nk round satu Kota Bharu tu..even nk pg uptown die pon x smpt sbb kene attend 2 weddings. sempat pg Machang jer..nk pg lg mcm serik plk nk tempuh jam & jln yg panjang tu..huuh!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment